BC Council Member:
Appointed in November 2019, I have and will continue to invest the time and energy needed to research items and make thoughtful decisions for our City. Preparation and careful consideration of public policy choices are my touchstones. It requires a tremendous amount of time and experience to comprehensively process the thousands of pages of background material, a task I excel at and relish. Meetings for other government agencies in Clark County, where I represent our City, require an equivalent amount of preparation.
A partial list of issues I have initiated and/or voted on while on the Council:
- Historic Preservation: advanced a new Railroad Museum, rezoning of the Water Filtration Building and adjacent Teddy Fenton Park as a government park.
- Grants: Allocate federal CARES Act funding: $265,000 to small business, $45,000 for the senior center, $360,000 for Emergency Aid, $150,000 for free all-day child care, $20,000 for a city communications upgrade.
- Utilities: opposed scheduled rate increase, opposed a new franchise fee, support for replacing essential linemen and other utility department employees, support lowering utility rates if we can continue to catch up with deferred infrastructure maintenance.
- Redevelopment Agency Funding: Subway, Sand’s Motel, Red Mountain Pizza, St. Christopher’s Church, Dam Roast House, Browder Book Store, Big T’s Cantina, and Very Very Serious.
- Parks and Recreation: Improvements to big horn sheep habitat, an affordable aquatic center, child care, various parks and recreation facilities’ upgrades.
- Police: Replace police officers’ vacancies, add a mounted police unit and support the animal shelter’s mission.
- Fire: adopted 2018 International Fire Code and 2018 Southern Nevada Consensus Fire Code, hired a Deputy Fire Chief, acquired new monitors, member of Emergency Operations Command (EOC).
- Local Businesses: Workforce Connections and One-Stop which is located at the Boulder City Library
- City Contracts: I led the effort to terminate the expensive Stantec facilities consulting contract, saving taxpayers approximately $90,000, opposed contracts that contained material errors, and support a competitive bidding process.
As a 20-year Boulder City resident, and growing up in a small town in Illinois, I fully understand the needs and challenges of building and perpetuating a smoothly-running community. For 16 years, I was President of the Bella Vista Property Owners’ Association in Boulder City. My paid jobs have included: 26 years with the federal Department of Defense. In addition, I held positions at Gauwitz Sales and Service, the Department of Army, Army and Air-Force Exchange, Department of Agriculture, and Caterpillar Tractor’s Department of Defense spanning procurement, finance, contracts, management, supervision, editorial, sales, and computer programming. Former President of the nonprofit Flight-For-Life of Ohio and former CEO of Hoskins Aero, Ohio.
Meals-on-Wheels driver, Emergency Aid, Lend-a-Hand, supplied PPE (personal protective equipment) such as handmade isolation gowns and masks for the local Veterans’ Home Mountain View Nursing Home, and Homestead Senior Care.
I will continue to work diligently to protect and improve our unique and beautiful town, preserve our history, achieve financial stability, encourage, support, and grow our local businesses, and work to beat the pandemic. Accessibility and rapid responses to constituents are among my core values.
Contact: Phone (702-528-1082)